Twitter Fun Facts
- Twitter is the 3rd largest social media platform, right behind Facebook and Instagram.
- There are currently 321 million active users – That’s 320,999,999 people you can be engaging with and marketing to!
- Originally, a tweet was limited to just 140 characters, but that number was increased to 280 characters in November 2017.
- During the 2016 Presidential Election, Twitter was the top source for breaking news on that day.
- The Twitter bird’s name is Larry.
How to Set Up Your Twitter Account
All you need to create a Twitter account is an email address and/or phone number. A business Twitter is set up the same way as a personal Twitter – there is no business designation on this platform. So, all you need to do is go to www.Twitter.com or download the Twitter app to sign up for an account. The most important thing to keep in mind when you are creating your Twitter account is your username. This is the @businessname that people can use to look up your account and is what will appear when you post a tweet. Twitter will suggest a username for you once you put in your business display name, but just make sure it is something that you like and is easy for people to remember.
How to Optimize Your Account
Make sure you have a branded profile picture and cover photo. These can be just your logo, your logo on a simple background, or your logo with your contact information for your cover photo. Having branded images on your account helps with brand recognition because every time someone sees your page, they are seeing your logo, similar to the concept of putting a name with a face.
Add your website URL on your profile page to give visitors easy access to your website, which is ultimately where you want them to go because it represents everything your business has to offer them. Also, make sure you have an intentionally written bio or a short “About Us” for your company. On Twitter, you want to keep it short and to the point, so we recommend just having your tagline/slogan and/or your Unique Selling Proposition (USP). This gives your customers an idea of who you are and what you do, without having to read too much.
Grow Your Following
Twitter is an easy social media platform to grow a following on as long as you are posting relevant and interesting content. Tweets should be short and simple – something that people can read quickly while they are scrolling through their feeds. Twitter is not the place for lengthy posts. Check out our list of dos and don’ts to make the most of your Twitter business account.
Do’s and Don’ts of Twitter:
• Come up with a catchy & creative hashtag for your business.
• Engage with your followers and other businesses by following, liking, commenting, and retweeting their posts.
• Pin your most relevant tweet at the top. This may be a promotion you’re currently running, a certification you have earned, or something you posted that went viral.
• Post content that is funny, relatable, trendy, etc. This is what people want to see when they are on Twitter.
• Tweet too much. Tweet consistently, but not too much – once a day is usually a good number.
• Overdo hashtags. A few are great and help to get more people to see your tweet, but too many take over the post when you have a limited number of characters on Twitter.
Friends of Larry the Twitter Bird
Hopefully, this quick overview of Twitter has taught you a little bit more about the 3rd largest social media platform in the world, what it does, and how it can be used. The most important thing to remember with tweets is to keep them short, sweet, simple, and fun! If you would rather steer clear world of tweeting, reach out to our team at Stingray Branding. We have created and optimized hundreds of Twitter accounts and would love to help grow yours!